Historic Buildings and Districts


View of Belfry addition to building TC-601 chapel at Camp GeigerBuilding A1 / Carpenter ShopAmphitheater. The semicircular amphitheater near the water’s edge frame a group of three memorials honoring Marines who died during service in Grenada (1983), Lebanon (1982-1984), and the Dominican Republic (1965). President Ronald Regan attended a memorial ceremony in this amphitheater on November 4, 1983, to honor the 241 Marines, Soldiers, and Sailors killed in the bombing at the Beirut Barracks on October 23, 1983Building H1 Main Entrance / Julian C. Smith Hall. Building H1 was built in 1942-43 as U.S. Naval Hospital, New River, and served as the main hospital for all the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune until the Naval Regional Medical Center was opened in 1980. As a hospital, H1 was set at the tip of Hadnot Point, away from the rest of the main station, to prevent the spread of contagious diseases and to buffer the patients from noise. Building 1 / Base Headquarters. Building 1 is base headquarters. From this office, the base commanding general oversees the daily workings of a “city” of approximately 50,000 Marines, Navy personnel, civilian employees, and military families. He also provides support for an additional 90,000 military family members and retirees residing in the surrounding community.Building 16 Protestant Chapel showing original historic cupola. Camp Lejeune’s Main Protestant Chapel was initially dedicated on December 13, 1942, and rededicated in January 1943. The history of the U.S. Marine Corps from its founding in 1775 to World War II is movingly portrayed in ten stained glass windows designed by artist Katherine Lamb Tait and installed in 1948.Building 17, Catholic Chapel with original historic cupola. Camp Lejeune’s Roman Catholic Chapel was first dedicated as St. Aloysius on December 6, 1942, in memory of Father Aloysius Schmitt, the first base chaplain and first Catholic chaplain to die in World War II. It was rededicated at St. Francis Xavier Chapel on January 27, 1943. Each of the ten stained glass windows was designed by New Jersey artist Katherine Lamb Tait and depicts two life-size images of saints of Catholic tradition. Building M-116 Chapel entrance, oblique view, facing northwestBuilding TC-601 Chapel, entrance on primary east elevationCamp Geiger ChapelH1 LobbyM100 Southwest Elevation, facing NortheastM100, Montford Point Marines Association. Administration Building (original use), Montford Point Marine Association Historical Reading Room (current use).M101, Montford Point Marines MuseumPlaque placed on historic buildingsPT6.  As part of the Marines’ planned use of paratroop landings in offensive support of amphibious assaults, parachute training facilities were established at Camp Lejeune and at Camp Gillespie near San Diego, California, in mid-1942. Steam Plant      M101. Montford Point Mess Hall (original use), Montford Point Classroom (current use)