ID Card Center


The following information provided is to assist you in scheduling and receiving services provided by the Camp Lejeune ID Center under normal circumstances IAW DoD and MCIEAST-MCB policies and regulations. Any exceptions to the norm shall be decided by the IDCC supervisor and/or the prospective Service Project Officers also IAW MCB and DoD regulations.




Effective Jan. 3, 2022, the Camp Lejeune DEERS/ID Card Center has increased appointments and highly encourages all sponsors and eligible members to make an appointment as walk-ins will be limited.

All patrons, whether vaccinated or not, must wear a mask in order to receive service by order of the MCIEAST-MCB Camp Lejeune Commanding General. You can be denied services if you or your family member to do comply.

Until further notice, children aged 9 and under are not allowed in the DEERS/ID Card Center unless they are receiving services and accompanied by one parent. Newborns are not required to be present for enrollment.


IDCC Hours of Operation for Bldg. 59 are:

  • Monday through Thursday
    • 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    • Schedule an appointment online at
    • Limited walk-in service available from 7:30 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3:30 p.m.
  • Friday
    • 7:30 to 4:00 p.m.
    • Open for walk-ins 

The IDCC will take the last customer at 3:30 p.m. and the front door will be locked at 3:45 p.m. pending any unusual circumstances and approval by a Supervisor/SSM.

For more information concerning the Stone Bay IDCC, please call 910-440-0158/2061.


Walk-in service will be limited Monday through Thursday and available all day on Friday.

  1. New Hires (must be already added by authoritative service feed).
  2. Expired CAC (must have two forms of other valid ID Unexpired with Photo e.g. Driver’s License and Social Security Card).
  3. Stopped working (must call ESD first bring ticket #).
  4. A New Enrollments make appointment. (If it is urgent because of certain circumstances the situation will require supervisor/SSM approval).
  5. Promotions/Frocking’s pre plan ahead make an appointment.
  6. Lost/Stolen must have statement signed by the command check website MCIEAST/MCB for lost/stolen letter (must have two forms of other valid ID Unexpired with Photo e.g. Driver’s License and Social Security Card).
  7. All expiring Identification must be within 30 days of expiring make be proactive make an appointment if you know your Identification is expiring.
  8. Adding emails (must have print out of correct email)


COVID Cleaning

We will close at noon on the second and fourth Thursday of each month for cleaning and sanitizing.


Update on Expired USID Cards - Update effective June 7, 2021

The DoD has extended temporary Uniformed Services ID (USID) card expiration policy guidance for all USID cards with expiration dates between Jan. 1, 2020 and July 31, 2021 as follows:

  • Foreign Affiliates and their dependents – valid until Aug. 31, 2021
  • Dependents of active duty service members – valid until Oct. 31, 2021
  • Reserve and National Guard uniformed service members and their dependents – valid until Oct. 31, 2021
  • Retirees, their dependents and other USID card populations – valid until Jan 31, 2022

Please note:

  • ID cards that expired prior to Jan. 1, 2020, have not been extended and must be replaced.
  • ID cards with expiration dates after July 31, 2021 must be replaced by their current expiration date.

To schedule an appointment, please visit: (using Internet Explorer)

To read the full DoD memo, please visit:


SAAR and Digital Signatures

The Camp Lejeune DEERS/ID Card has no authority or responsibility in preparing a SAAR or obtaining Digital Signatures. This is an ISC/Organizational Network Administrator function. For further assistance beyond the Network Administrator call the Enterprise Help Desk 855-373-8762.



  • ‚ÄčFace coverings are required for personnel who are not vaccinated against COVID-19 as directed by CG, MCIEAST, at the Camp Lejeune and Stone Bay IDCC
  • We are still under COVID-19 restrictions IAW CDC guidelines and only those who are receiving service are allowed in the IDCC.
  • Please do not bring children with you unless they are receiving service.
  • The minimum age for children to receive an ID card is age 10.


Self-service logon

If the sponsor is not able to come in with a dependent to update an ID card, please utilize the DS Logon (The Department of Defense Self-Service Logon) or ID Card Office Online.  The following brochures are available to assist you in using it. With either of these services, you have the ability to complete the DD-Form 1172-2 and digitally sign it. This form is required each time a family member gets an ID card unless the spouse has a Power of Attorney.

Appointments can be made at:

Using State Driver's License as an identity document

When issuing DoD ID cards to customers, we are required to enter an expiration date for most identity documents in RAPIDS.

Active duty Service members and their eligible dependents may present a State driver's license with no expiration date. If the expiration date of a State driver's license is blank or displays ''military,'' the VO is required to enter the following as the expiration date of the driver's license:

  • The expiration date of the DoD ID card being issued, or
  • Up to three years from the current date (whichever is sooner).

DMDC will no longer allow DEERS/RAPIDS Sites to utilize an EXPIRED State Driver’s License as an identity document. The extension issued for an expired driver’s license is for driving privileges ONLY. It does not apply to identity documentation.

When using a state driver’s license as a form of acceptable identification, a PHOTO IS REQUIRED. If you have renewed your license and only have the paper copy without a photo, it can no longer be accepted unless you present your expired license at the same time.

REMEMBER, THE DEPENDENT ID CARD IS A PRIVILEGE CARD. At no time can a dependent receive an id card without proper identification or documentation.

To help us serve you better, please make sure you have everything you need prior to your visit.



Hours of Operation & Appointments

The ID Card Center is located at the Camp Lejeune Reception Center in Building 59 which is located on Molly Pitcher Rd, and there is a satellite office located at Stone Bay in Building RR-4 which is located on Rifle Range Rd. Both locations are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Both locations will close at 3:15 p.m. on Wednesday and Friday for cleaning and sanitation due to COVID-19 until further notice.

DEERS/IDCC services are currently limited to: CAC's expiring within one week, CAC's not working (try CAC Pin Reset first), lost/stolen ID Cards and medical emergencies.

Phone connectivity with a live person will be limited; please submit any questions through

As a reminder, DEERS/IDCC does not handle questions with regard to TRICARE. All CAC Pin Resets on Camp Lejeune are conducted at JRRRC. CAC Pin Reset hours remain unchanged at this time.

The ID Card Center in Building 59 may be contacted by phone at (910) 451-2727/4223, and the ID Card Center Satellite Office at Stone Bay may be contacted by phone at (910) 440-2061.


Appointments are required. To make an appointment for the ID Card Center, please visit

In the event you should not be able to keep your appointment, please visit to cancel your appointment.

Note: The ID Card Center is CLOSED all weekends, Federal holidays, and occasional hours as deemed necessary by management. We reserve the right to refuse service if a situation is considered inappropriate. Should you encounter a problem, please ask to speak to a supervisor for clarification, knowledge or understanding.




Acceptable Proof of Identification Documents

In order to verify your eligibility for issuance of a Command Access Card (CAC) or another type of ID, you must present two (2) valid forms of identification.  The primary document must be a valid photo ID.  All of the documentation must be original or certified true copies.  Copies of original or certified true copies are not acceptable.

For a complete list of acceptable forms of identification, please click on the following link.

Click here to download a PDF file of the Valid Forms of Identification.

For an overview of all of the requirements for DEERS enrollment and IDC issuance, please refer to the following PDF.

Requirements for DEERS Enrollment and IDC Issuance

Assistance can also be obtained through your parent Civilian and/or Military Personnel offices or by calling (910) 451-2727.




Lost or Stolen Identification Card Replacement Process

If you have lost your identification card or it was stolen, you must complete the below form, file a report with the Provost Marshal's office in Building 819, and have both a Provost Marshal representative and someone from your chain of command sign the below form before you may have a new identification card issued to you.

Report of Lost or Stolen Identification Card Form




Interactive Customer Evaluation

If you are interested in submitting an Interactive Customer Evaluation (ICE) concerning your visit to the ID Card Center, click here.

Thank you for taking the time to rate us and provide us with your comments and suggestions.  Your feedback will help us maintain the quality of excellence you expect.




Due to unplanned network outages and other unforeseen circumstances, we may be unable to provide services from time to time. If you have an urgent requirement, please call the ID Card Center before your scheduled appointment or before your arrival to verify that operations are normal. Thank you for your patience.