The Montford Point Camp No. 1 Historic District helps document the training of all African-American Marines during World War II. Completed in mid-August 1942 following the specifications for battalion units, Montford Point Camp No. 1 functioned as the principal boot camp training facility for the Marines’ first African-American recruits. The camp originally featured six enlisted washrooms, a mess hall, an administration building, a dispensary, a recreation building, a post exchange, two warehouses, and a heating plant, all of frame construction, that surrounded 108 portable homosote huts. The institution of the draft created a large influx of recruits, and the Montford Point camp became the Recruit Depot for mustering African-American troops, which required substantial enlargement of the camp in terms of organization and physical plant. New buildings constructed of tile block with stucco veneers were built along the west side of Montford Landing Road by mid-1943, which included the Marines’ typical regimental post buildings found throughout Camp Lejeune, including a larger administration building, an infirmary, a hostess house, a brig, a post theater, classroom buildings, and gun sheds. Late in 1943 a training pool was also erected at Montford Point in order to provide swimming training for African-American recruits (M139).
Building at Montford Point Camp 1
Mural dedicated to Sgt Major Gilbert “Hashmark” Johnson
Management Plan for Montford Point Camp No.1 Historic District MCB Camp Lejeune