Completed in August 1942, the Assault Amphibian Base at Courthouse Bay provided enlisted personnel with training in amphibious landings. As planning progressed for construction of Camp Lejeune, amphibious training became a major role for the base. Major buildings erected for the base included Buildings A-1 (Carpenter Shop) and A-2 (Machine Shop). These two buildings were not specifically utilized for the instruction of personnel in amphibious landings, but they served as maintenance and repair shops for the base’s fleet of amphibious landing craft and tractors.
The two contributing buildings to this historic district are the Carpenter Shop (currently used as a heating plant) and the Machine Shop (currently used for storage).
Building A-1 Carpenter Shop