All Marine Boxing trials conclude

12 Jan 2000 | Staff Sgt. Jason Huffine

In what will probably be the only time a Marine lance corporal knocks a lieutenant to the ground and gets away with it, Charles Davis threw a barrage of punches and knocked out Alan Singleton in the final bout at the All Marine Boxing finals here at the Goettge Fieldhouse yesterday.

The fight, which was the final of seven on the evening's card, had fans cheering as the heavyweight Davis unleashed on a bigger Singleton. Davis, 20, backed the 2d Marine Division tanker to the ropes and connected with a series of body shots and unleashed with a right and left uppercut that sent Singleton to the ground.
Referee Frank Hart stopped the fight 1:35 into the third round.

"When you're throwing punches, you want to get on 'em as quickly as you can," Davis, a Portsmouth, Ohio, Marine said. "I wasn't focused on the fact he was a lieutenant, just that he was another opponent. I wanted to hurt 'em."

Davis, who said he's boxed since he was thirteen, added he was excited about making this year's team. And that's what made the victory so sweet.

Judging by the fan's reaction, the 178 lb. bout and sixth on the card, also had people cheering.

Corporal Christopher Tillman was setting up for what appeared to be an upcoming knock out of 2d Marine Division's Lance Cpl. Jacob Garreston late in the second round.

Tillman had Garreston cornered and was connecting with lefts and rights causing Garreston's legs to wobble. However, the bell rang, and Tillman had to wait fifty-six seconds into the third round before he dazed Garreston enough for the referee to stop the fight.

All-Marine Coach Master Sgt. Robert Michael emphasized to Marines who came out for the trials that he has a tremendous outlook for this year's team. As the Marines gathered in the Goettge's 'Blue Room,' Michael stressed because he feels so positive about the level of competition the Marines have faced within their own ranks, he really feels it happening this year.

The boxing veteran, who fought on the 1988 team under the recently retired Roosevelt Sanders, kept saying to the team, "It's my watch, you with me?" In return, the assembled Marines replied with a simple "Err!"

Michael selected eight more Marines from this year's trials, and explained these Marines would be added to the 15 already on the team.

He also stressed that the crowd who saw Davis outmatch an obvious bigger Singleton, shouldn't always be fooled by size. He said Davis' hand-speed made up for any lack in size he may have had.

Also winning at the trials by point decisions were 2d MarDiv's Staff Sgt. Steven Stokes and Cpl. Heriberto Acevedo; Marine Corps Air Station, New River's Cpl. Roland Diaz; Lance Cpl. Mike Martinez of 2d Force Service Support Group here; and Lance Cpl. Anthony Little stationed at Twentynine Palms, Calif.

The trials started Monday with more than thirty fighters competing. The team is now scheduled for its first competition of the year next month in Fort Huachuca, Ariz., at the Armed Forces Championships. Michael said as of now 11 Marine fighters will attend the matches. From there, he said the team is scheduled to attend 'The Golden Gloves' and the National Championships in Colorado Springs, Colo.