Hurricane season is here. Are you prepared?

31 May 2018 | Lance Cpl. Nathan Reyes Marine Corps Installations East

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. – Hurricane season is a part of life for residents living along the eastern seaboard, including here at Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River. The start of the season began June 1 and will extend to November 30. Having a plan established for inclement weather is critical.
“The hurricane business comes down to a lot of individual preparation,” said John Reeve, operations officer for Marine Corps Installations East, Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. “The base population needs to become very familiar with the National Hurricane Center’s web page. The page has great forecast information and tons of great education information, advice and what plans a family should make in the event of a hurricane.”
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecasters are predicting a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of below-normal season for this year.
“The weather predictions are accurate but at the end of the day it is still weather,” said Reeve. “When the storm is four days out in the Caribbean it could go anywhere, so always plan it safe.”
People who decide to evacuate on their own should leave early, bring all of their medicines and utilize the National Hurricane Center’s website information to create a packing list.
“If a hurricane is forecasted to impact our area, community members should pick that time to go on a vacation or just get out of the area if possible,” said Reeve. “The more people who are in an area affected by a storm, the more complex the logistical problems become.”
MCB Camp Lejeune does its part to prepare for hurricane season by conducting yearly destructive weather training on the installation.

“Our plan for training doesn’t change much from year to year, and that’s by design so the experience from the previous years are applicable to the current year,” said Reeve.
All service members and base residents are encouraged to use risk management skills in the event of destructive weather.
“It only takes one storm to cause a lot of disruption,” said Christopher Parker, fire chief, MCIEAST, MCB Camp Lejeune. “Preparation is something we all have to take seriously.”